We all know the importance of taking good care of our teeth. But even with regular brushing and flossing, over time, our teeth lose their bright, white color. The passage of time and the aging process cause our smile to lose its natural luster. The food and drinks we consume can also cause our teeth to become stained or discolored over time. Fortunately, there are many products available to Livingston patients interested in teeth whitening. There are treatments that can be done at home and treatments available in-office at the Livingston cosmetic dentistry office of the Silverstrom Group.
At-home Whitening Options
There are many over-the-counter teeth whitening products available today. These products offer the convenience of at-home treatments and are lower in price than in-office teeth whitening treatments. However, these products do contain lower levels of peroxide and will require more frequent treatments to achieve the results of an in-office teeth whitening treatment.
- Whitening Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste usually contains gentle chemical or polishing agents that can help remove stains. These toothpastes do not contain bleaching agents and can only remove stains on the surface of the teeth. Whitening toothpaste can be expected to whiten your teeth by one shade.
- Whitening Rinses: Whitening rinses are similar to regular mouth washes that help fight plaque, but these rinses also contain other ingredients, such as hydrogen peroxide, to help whiten teeth. These rinses are used twice a day before brushing. Because the rinse is in contact with your teeth for such a short amount of time (30 seconds, twice a day), results may take up to twelve weeks and will most likely not be as successful as other home whitening treatments.
- Whitening Gel: Whitening gel is a clear formula that usually contains hydrogen peroxide. This gel is applied with a small brush, usually twice a day for a two-week period. Results will become visible within a few days and may last for three to four months.
- Whitening Strips: Whitening strips are simply thin strips of paper that have been coated with a whitening gel. They are also applied twice daily for a two-week period and produce results that last up to four months.
- At-home Whitening Trays: This technique incorporates the use of customized mouth trays. These trays are filled with a hydrogen peroxide based solution and are to be worn on your teeth for varying amounts of time, depending on the degree of discoloration.
In Office Teeth Whitening Options
At the Silverstrom Group in Livingston, teeth whitening is our specialty. Our office offers two professional grade teeth whitening options to restore the color and brightness to your smile.
- Zoom!® teeth whitening system: This treatment begins with the application of a hydrogen peroxide-based gel directly to the surface of the teeth. The bleaching properties in the gel are activated by the Zoom!® light. This is a virtually painless 45-minute process that can deliver immediate results and leave your teeth up to ten shades lighter.
- The KöR Whitening Deep Bleaching™ System: This treatment produces more dramatic results than any other teeth whitening system on the market. In this process, a tray that has been customized to fit your mouth is filled with KöR whitening gel. You wear this tray while you sleep for a two-week period and then return to our dental offices so our experts can apply the finishing touches. This treatment can leave your teeth up to sixteen shades brighter.
Let us help you get back that bright smile that you have been missing. Contact the Silverstrom Group in Livingston to learn more about these teeth whitening treatments and see what will work for you.