Preventable chronic diseases cause seventy-five percent of medical costs. It has become a monumental discovery in the medical world that oral health impacts overall health, creating a new way of thinking concerning preventing systemic illnesses.
Complete Health Dentistry is a core philosophy at The Silverstrom Group. When in balance, the community of billions of bacteria in the mouth protects and supports your body’s ability to live. However, when disturbed, it produces harmful bacteria that lead to gum disease.
Gum disease is the most abundant source of chronic low-grade inflammation that causes a decrease in our immune response, and eventually, irreversible damage to the immune system. The mouth is a window to your health, and we aim to protect it.
What is a General Dentist?
There are all types of dentists, but a general dentist is a primary dental care provider prioritizing disease prevention. Most dental procedures are either diagnosing issues or preventing them. General dentists diagnose, treat, and oversee overall oral health care needs, including soft tissues, root canals, fillings, crowns, veneers, bridges, and preventive education.
By emphasizing oral health and hygiene, general dentists help people avoid oral disease progression. If diseases are left untreated, they can eventually result in pain, lost time at work or school, and lost money, as many procedures are pretty expensive.
What Do General Dentists Do?
General dentists provide dental care to patients of every age. When you visit your general dentist, you have a thorough examination of your mouth, teeth, and gums. Afterward, you benefit from a professional cleaning by our friendly staff and a discussion about optimizing your dental health. Click here to learn more.
Suppose your exam reveals tooth decay. If this happens, your dentist, Dr. Silverstrom, will clean out any issues and fill in the affected tooth with resin for ultimate protection. While quite common, these are just a minimal example of what a general dentist provides. Read below for the services a general dentist usually offers.
- Preventive services — Maintaining good oral health by stopping disease before it takes hold in your mouth is essential in general dentistry. Regular exams, x-rays, and teeth cleanings are a cornerstone of prevention. Your general dentist gives you detailed instructions on improving your oral hygiene at home and recommends preventive treatments. Follow this link to learn more.
- Restorative Services — In the case that a problem is found, Dr. Silverstrom will ensure you get timely and appropriate treatment. A dental restoration involves removing tooth decay and filling in the affected tooth for ultimate protection. General dentists also provide a place to go when you need prompt treatment for dental trauma. If you happen to have an accident that affects your mouth, a general dentist will diagnose and treat the causes of tooth pain. They can offer treatments for missing teeth by placing crowns, bridgework and getting you fitted with dentures. Some dentists even provide advanced therapies, such as root canal treatment, orthodontics, and dental implants.
- Cosmetic Dentistry — Many general dentists offer cosmetic dentistry services to help you get a sparkling, perfected smile. Procedures include teeth whitening, cosmetic bonding, porcelain veneers, and more. If a brighter, whiter smile is what you’re looking for, ask about a smile makeover.
- Overall Health — Oral health often mirrors your general health. There are dental problems that can reflect issues in other parts of your body and vice versa. For example, untreated oral infections can increase the incidence of cardiovascular disease, premature birth during pregnancy, and poor control of diabetes.
- Nutritional Counseling — General dentists can also offer health and wellness information and advice on cutting out tobacco.
Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom proudly care for patients of all ages. They have the skills, knowledge, and resources to meet the unique needs of young children, the elderly, and members of every age group in between.
Read this recent review from Jay Wecht:
I had yet another fantastic experience at the Silverstrom Group! It was my regular cleaning, and as usual, Debbie did an outstanding job on my teeth. My wife had just been there hours earlier for the same, and now my uncle and aunt have become regulars, too. I even made an appointment for my son before I left. I guess the Silverstrom Group is getting used to my whole family coming there! Why would we go anywhere else when we’re all treated so well?
We offer a full menu of general dentistry options, from professional cleanings and new patient exams to TMJ treatment and root canal therapy. Please don’t hesitate to contact us today to learn more about our dental services and Complete Health Dentistry.