Do you suffer from tooth sensitivity? Many people feel discomfort when exposing their teeth to hot or cold temperatures. While irritating, most patents don’t realize that tooth sensitivity may be a sign of a more serious issue. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, use a fun quiz to discuss diagnosing and treating sensitive teeth.
Sensitive Teeth Quiz
1. True or False: Millions of adults suffer from sensitive teeth.
2. True or False: A sensitive tooth may be a sign of a dental fracture.
3. True or False: Tooth decay often causes sensitive teeth.
4. True or False: Your Livingston NJ general dentists can treat tooth sensitivity.
1. True. According to the results in a study published in the Journal of the American Dental Association, 1 in 8 adults experience tooth sensitivity.
2. True. When a tooth becomes cracked, the fracture is often practically invisible to the naked eye. A crack allows bacteria to bypass the enamel. Soon, patients may begin to experience the early stages of a cavity, which include tooth sensitivity and toothaches.
3. True. In many cases, bacteria break down food particles in our mouth, elevating the presence of oral acids. These acids wear away at the enamel, causing erosion. This exposes miniscule tubules and causes sensitivity.
4. True. First, your Livingston dentists will diagnose the cause of your sensitivity. Often, fluoride treatments can remineralize the enamel and reduce sensitivity. If the sensitivity results from decay, Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom can place an all-white composite filling to restore your tooth.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston NJ General Dentists
Do you experience tooth sensitivity? If so, talk to you Livingston NJ general dentists today. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom will pin point the causes of your sensitive teeth and recommend appropriate treatment. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform the health and beauty of our patients’ smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.