Do you suffer from constant snoring? If so, you may be experiencing a common symptom of a serious sleep disorder. Obstructive sleep apnea affects over ten million Americans. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a fun quiz to discuss the causes of sleep apnea and recommend simple treatment options.
Stop Snoring Quiz
1. True or False: Snoring is a common symptom of sleep apnea.
2. True or False: Sleep apnea can lead to serious medical complications.
3. True or False: In some cases, simple lifestyle changes can reduce snoring and sleep apnea symptoms.
4. True or False: Your Livingston NJ general dentists offer treatment for snoring and sleep apnea.
1. True. Sleep apnea occurs when soft tissue in the back of the throat obstructs airflow. The patient stops breathing and the brain wakes the patient to start breathing again. This may happen hundreds of times a night. Symptoms of sleep apnea include:
· Daytime drowsiness
· Waking up gasping for air or choking
· Inability to focus at work or school
2. True. If left untreated, patients may experience an increases risk of high blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack.
3. True. Losing weight, avoiding alcohol before going to bed, and keeping the bedroom dark and cool may help ease your snoring and sleep apnea symptoms.
4. True. For severe cases, Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom may recommend an intraoral device. Similar to a mouth guard, this oral appliance repositions the jaw to allow unobstructed airflow. You can breathe easier and notice a reduction in sleep apnea symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston NJ General Dentists
Do you experience chronic snoring? Then talk to you Livingston NJ general dentists today. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom will diagnose the cause and severity of your snoring and recommend the most appropriate treatment. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform the health and beauty of our patients’ smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.