What is TMJ disorder? Across America, over ten million people suffer the painful symptoms of this serious medical disorder. Unfortunately, many people may be unaware that they even have TMD. At The Silverstrom Group, we offer the latest in minimally invasive and comfortable treatment for TMJ disorder. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, will explain the symptoms of TMD and recommend common treatment options.
TMJ Disorder Quiz
1. True or False: TMJ disorder occurs when excessive strain is placed on the jaw joints.
2. True or False: There are multiple symptoms of TMD.
3. True or False: Causes of TMD include bruxism and misalignment.
4. True or False: An oral appliance can help relieve the symptoms of TMD.
TMJ Disorder Quiz Answer Key
1. True. The temporomandibular joints connect the jaw to the skull and control all movement of the jaw, including the motions necessary to speak and chew. When stress is placed on the jaw joints, patients experience a variety of aches and may even develop TMD.
2. True. Common symptoms of TMJ disorder include: headaches, migraines, earaches, tinnitus, a popping or crackling sensation in the jaw, facial and jaw pain, toothaches, neck pain, and shoulder pain.
3. True. The two most common causes of TMD are teeth grinding, also known as bruxism, and bite misalignment. Both of these issues strain the jaw joints, leading to TMJ disorder.
4. True. An oral appliance, similar to a mouth guard, addresses both teeth grinding and misalignment, easing your TMD-related pain. Worn during sleep, the device repositions the jaw to address misalignment. The appliance also prevents the upper and lower teeth from touching, ending episodes of bruxism.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston Cosmetic Dentists
Are you exhibiting the symptoms of TMJ disorder? Then contact your Livingston cosmetic dentists today. Dr. David or Gary Silverstrom will diagnose the cause and severity of your TMD and recommend the appropriate treatment. In addition, we offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.