Sleep apnea affects over ten million Americans. Millions are deprived of essential rest and may be unaware that treatment is available for this serious sleep disorder. At The Silverstrom Group, we understand the importance of a good night’s sleep and offer solutions for obstructive sleep apnea, or OSA. In today’s blog, your Livingston dentists, Dr. David Silverstrom and Dr. Gary Silverstrom, provide a fun quiz to discuss our approach to easing sleep apnea symptoms.
Sleep Apnea Quiz
1. True or False: Sleep apnea causes patients to stop breathing for brief periods at night.
2. True or False: Snoring is a common symptom of sleep apnea.
3. True or False: Sleep apnea increases the risk of certain health complications.
4. True or False: Your Livingston general dentists offer an oral appliance to treat sleep apnea.
1. True. When sleep apnea occurs, soft tissue in the back of the throat block airflow, depriving the brain of oxygen. The brain then wakes the patient up to start breathing again. Patients may endure this cycle hundreds of times in a single night, leading to exhaustion.
2. True. Snoring is one of the most widespread symptom, but other signs of OSA include: Irritability, inability to focus at work or school, depression, and daytime drowsiness.
3. True. If left untreated, sleep apnea increases a patient’s risk of developing high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke. Patients also see an elevated risk of falling asleep behind the wheel.
4. True. Similar to a mouth guard, an oral appliance repositions the jaw to allow easier and unobstructed airflow during sleep. As a result, patients report a reduction in snoring and other sleep apnea symptoms.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Livingston General Dentists
Are you experiencing the symptoms of sleep apnea? Interested in our minimally invasive and comfortable treatment options? For more information, contact your Livingston general dentists today. Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom offer the latest in general, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry to transform smiles. Contact The Silverstrom Group in Livingston, New Jersey by calling (973) 797-9345. The Silverstrom Group is located at 580 South Livingston Avenue, Livingston, New Jersey.