Senior citizens face unique dental health challenges, but our modern treatments can successfully treat a wide range of concerns. When you meet with a Livingston cosmetic dentist at The Silverstrom Group, you’ll receive warm, patient-centered care. Drs. David and Gary Silverstrom offer years of experience and technologically advanced treatments for our senior patients.
Common Dental Conditions for Seniors
Many seniors suffer from dental problems as they age. Some of the most common dental conditions seniors experience are:
- Gum Disease – A leading cause of root damage, tooth decay, tooth loss, and uneven jawbones, gum disease is a major concern for seniors. Harmful bacteria in the mouth turn into plaque; plaque irritates and infects the gums. Common causes of gum disease are smoking, poor oral hygiene, poor diet, and diseases such as diabetes and cancer.
- Missing Teeth – More than just an aesthetic flaw, missing teeth can cause many problems. Missing teeth make chewing and talking more difficult, alter the alignment of your smile, and contribute to oral bone loss.
- Tooth Sensitivity – Tooth sensitivity is a common condition known for causing pain and discomfort. In seniors, sensitivity is often caused by receding or damaged gum tissue.
- Discolored or Darkened Teeth – Teeth can darken and stain over time. This can result from changes in the dentin, the bony tissue beneath the tooth enamel, as well as years of consuming common tooth-staining beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine.
- Dry Mouth – When a patient’s saliva flow is decreased, they may experience dry mouth. Saliva helps to remove harmful bacteria in the mouth, so patients with this condition are at greater risk for additional dental problems.
Common Dental Treatments for Seniors
At The Silverstrom Group, we offer modern cosmetic and general dentistry treatments for our senior patients. In our state-of-the-art laboratory, we custom-craft dentures, dental bridges, and crowns, ensuring all aspects of the procedure are overseen by your dentist. Some of our most common treatments for seniors include:
- Dental Implants– If you’re missing one or more teeth and want to restore the appearance and function of your mouth, you should consider the benefits of dental implants. A dental implant is surgically inserted as a permanent replacement for natural tooth roots. Once healed, an implant can support dentures, dental bridges, or a single tooth restoration. We have achieved beautiful results for our Livingston dental implants patients.
- Dentures – Custom made to provide excellent fit, security, and comfort, our dentures are an excellent way to restore your mouth. Dentures can give you a beautiful smile and help reduce oral bone loss. Our natural-looking dentures are available in full or partial sets that can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Laser Dentistry – When patients have gum disease, laser dentistry is a revolutionary non-surgical treatment option. Dr. Silverstrom uses precision soft tissue diode laser treatments to gently and accurately clean and seal the gums. Laser dentistry drastically reduces the pain and recovery time associated with traditional gum surgery.
- Teeth Whitening – With our in-office and take-home teeth whitening treatments, we can remove stains and brighten teeth by up to sixteen shades. We feature both ZOOM® and KöR Whitening Deep Bleaching™ systems for superior results.
Contact The Silverstrom Group
If you’re experiencing one of these common conditions, we’re here to help. To learn more about our treatments for seniors and schedule a consultation, please contact us at our Livingston cosmetic dentistry practice at your convenience.